Prototyping a fossil-free future - How VAUDE and UPM think beyond recycling
Fossil-free textiles are not a dream anymore. Together with VAUDE, UPM shows how biochemicals can replace petrochemicals in fashion products. As part of the renewable circularity movement, technical shifts must coincide with mindset shifts for tangible impact.
Additional speakers on stage:
Dr Gerd Unkelbach, Director Molecular Bioproducts R&D, UPM
Gerd Unkelbach studied chemistry and has been working on the sustainable production of materials and chemicals based on renewable raw materials since 2005. After roughly 20 years in different positions at the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft he changed mid-2022 to UPM as R&D-director polymers and molecular bioproducts. He is a member of various committees and deputy chairman of the board of the BioEconomy cluster.
LinkedIn handles for company and personal platforms:
- UPM Biochemicals LinkedIn Page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/upm-biochemicals/
- Martin Ledwon LinkedIn Page: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martin-david-ledwon-4438a78/
- Dr. Gerd Unkelbach LinkedIn Page: https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerd-unkelbach-2b7794213/
- Over 17 years of experience in the sportswear industry, working for leading brands across Europe
- Brought several new technologies into the sportswear world by connecting supply-chain stakeholders, including the upstream chemical industry, to drive responsible product creation
- Long experience in several renewable carbon technologies such as biomass and recycled derived materials
- Development of the industry-leading eco-design tool “Green Shape” at VAUDE, including the entire product´s lifecycle
- Speaker at several global conferences and consulted several industries in the field of sustainable material choices
- I aim to steer the textile industry away from relying on fossil fuels and instead promote a shift toward a sustainable and circular economy
Everyone can make a difference.
About the orator
Martin Ledwon is Vice President of Sustainability, Marketing and Communications at UPM Biorefining. Before that, he held various senior leadership roles in sustainability and communications within UPM Kymmene, the Finland based pulp, paper, and forest-based renewable materials market leader since 2017. In addition to that, Martin has extensive experience in various sustainability areas on a global scale from his previous roles at Siemens, Tetra Pak and as an independent consultant.
The content of this website is prepared with great care. Nonetheless, there is no guarantee or warranty of accurateness, completeness or timeliness of the information provided. Design & Development GmbH Textile Consult disclaims any and all liability to this end.
As far as the content of this website was not prepared by Design & Development GmbH Textile Consult, copyrights of third parties are observed. In particular, content not created by Design & Development GmbH Textile Consult is designated as such. Should you notice any copyright infringement, we ask you to inform us accordingly. Upon receiving notice or becoming aware of any copyright infringement, we will immediately remove the relevant content from our website.